Sweet Potato Chips and Avocado Mayo
Food writer Lucy Jessop creates a delicious avocado mayo to sink your sweet potato chips into. Genius!
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the sweet potato chips
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 800g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons polenta
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sea salt
For the mayo
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 40g root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½ small garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- Dash of Tabasco (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Wash the sweet potatoes in cold water and dry thoroughly with a clean tea-towel – there’s no need to peel them. Cut lengthways into 1cm wide chips.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Then add the polenta, paprika and a good pinch of salt. Mix well to evenly coat.
- Spread the chips between two large roasting tins. They need as much space as possible, so they should be in a single layer. Bake for 35–40 minutes until tender and crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the ‘mayo’ dip. Place the avocado flesh in a food processor. Add the grated ginger, garlic, lime juice and zest, Tabasco (if using), olive oil, 1 tablespoon of cold water and a large pinch of salt. Whizz until smooth. Transfer to a small dish and serve with the warm, crunchy sweet potato chips.
Whether you like it smooth, smashed, chunked or whole, author and foodie expert Lucy Jessop shows you how to add green goodness into every meal. Get her new book to discover everything avo-related, from fuel-up pastas and healthy bakes to energy bites. The Goodness of Avocado by Lucy Jessop (Kyle Books, RRP £9.99).